December 09, 2005

Commute from Hell


OK. So this is my commute every day. It's a little over 60 miles each way. I know. Crazy, right? But most days it's not bad. I go in most days in a vanpool, so the driving is shared, and it's not as stressful. Along with the fact that I travel quite a bit (and so am not in the office), I have managed to survive the commutes.

Then came along, December 8, 2005. The first big snow storm of the season. 40 of the 60 mile expressway is under construction. I left office at 3:30p. Want to guess how long it took me to get home? Go on. Don't read further, but think of a number. 5 hours? Nope. 7 hours? Nope. 8 hours? Nope. 9 hours? Yeap. Can you believe it? Nine hours! I would be hopping mad if I didn't think this was a story out of some parallel universe. It beats the one time a friend of mine and I took six hours driving around the Peripherique in Paris trying to find our hotel. Boy, that's almost a story worth telling. But back to this commute. Here I was just trying to get home. There are really no good explanations why it took so long. No accidents, no spin-outs... Just people driving 5 miles/hour. If it wasn't so cold, it might have made a nice walk home. The things we do to put food on the table...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Bipin,
Nice to here from you! That's horrible about your trip home. I thought it took Ron 4 hours to get home yesterday, but it took him 6 just to home from Naperville. Hope it's better for you today! Rebecca

Anonymous said...

Hey Bipin,

I hope you called in sick for a few days ... sick of driving :)

Sorry to hear it - maybe you should move to Hoffman Estates.

David

Anonymous said...

What in the sam hill is vanpool??

A van with a large pool in it?

Anonymous said...

That sounds like my commute from North Baltimore to Va for 3 months. Sometimes it would take 2 hrs sometime it felt like 2 days! That's when I started the habit of having good worship music in the car at all times!

Anonymous said...

OHH MY GOODNESS, that is TOTALLY from HELL!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, Bippy. That must have been terrible. Not fun at all. Stupid snow. So, the real reason I'm writing...I'm kind of dumb and can't figure out how you found out about my xanga. do other people know about it?
--Alicia

Anonymous said...

That's brutal